While entertaining a bunch of house guests, this turned out to be the most consumed meal of the night. No kidding, after all, it’s General Tso, the meal that puts restaurants like PF Chang on the map. Look no further and spend no more, we have your solution right here, with these easy to make recipe steps. Enjoy!!
SERVES: 4 people
- 1 pound chicken breasts, cut into approximately 1 inch cubes
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon apricot jam
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1½ tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 large cloves garlic,
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- green onions for garnish (decoration purposes)
- sesame seeds for garnish (decoration purposes)
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Line a baking sheet with tin foil and place a wire rack on top. 2. Spray the wire rack with baking spray.
3. Place the buttermilk in a small bowl. Combine the panko breadcrumbs and cornmeal in a shallow dish and the flour in another shallow dish.
4. Coat the chicken pieces in the flour, then dip in the buttermilk until coated, then toss in the panko mixture, pressing down until all sides are coated. Place the chicken on the wire rack.
5. Give the chicken a quick spray with baking spray and bake for about 10 minutes until the breadcrumbs start to brown and chicken is cooked through.
6. While the chicken cooks, whisk together the water, soy sauce, apricot jam, hoisin sauce, cornstarch and balsamic vinegar in a small bowl, set aside.
7. In a large skillet, heat the coconut and sesame oil over medium heat.
8. Add the garlic, ginger and red pepper and cook for 1 minute, careful not to burn the garlic.
9. Add in the sauce mixture and whisk for 2-3 minutes until thickened.
10. Add the cooked chicken into the sauce once thickened and toss until the pieces are fully coated in the sauce.
11. Garnish/ decorate your meal with green onions and sesame seeds and serve with rice or pasta.